An SMAS facelift can improve otherwise permanent signs of ageing such as sagging, creases and loose skin.
• Sagging jowls around the face
• Sagging in the mid facial area (cheeks)
• Fat that has fallen lower on the face
• Loose skin underneath the chin and neck
• Deep creases caused by pulling of excess skin around the mouth
The SMAS, or Superficial Musculo-Aponeurotic System, is a layer of muscle and fibrous tissue that runs from the neck into the face, and fuses to the cheekbones and the scalp. During a SMAS facelift, the skin is separated from the SMAS layer, which is dissected and tightened so the patient gets a full, lifted result that is long-lasting. Any excess skin is also trimmed and re-draped.